Wisconsin: ‘Mr. Cephus has been reinstated’

Former Wisconsin wide receiver Quintez Cephus has been reinstated to the university.

Chancellor Becky Blank made the announcement Monday morning in a statement released by the school:

Advertisement

UW–Madison has a responsibility to investigate allegations of sexual misconduct in a prompt and thorough manner, as directed by state and federal laws. The university applies its code of conduct impartially and consistently regardless of the identities of the individuals involved.

In the case of Quintez Cephus, this process functioned appropriately and in accordance with state and federal guidelines and proceeded based on the information available to UW–Madison at the time of the university’s investigation and hearing process.

UW–Madison obtained information following the criminal proceeding that was not provided to the university during the student conduct process. Chancellor Rebecca Blank conducted a review of this information and the petition for Quintez Cephus’ reinstatement as quickly as possible and in a complete and impartial manner.

As a result of this review, sanctions for Quintez Cephus have been reduced and his expulsion lifted. There were findings of responsibility of the student non-academic misconduct code that were upheld.

Mr. Cephus has been reinstated as a UW–Madison student, effective immediately.

“All three of the primary participants in this case are our students, and I know the past year has been painful for everyone involved,” said Blank. “My decision is based on the availability of substantial new information that wasn’t made available to us during the earlier process. I recognize that some will disagree with this decision.”

“To those in our community who have experienced sexual assault, I sincerely hope that there is nothing in this case that will deter you from coming forward for support,” she added. “Our university continues to be prepared to listen and respond.”

Cephus was suspended from the football team last August after he was charged with two counts of sexual assault stemming from an incident in April 2018. He was then expelled from school following a Title IX investigation of which he was unable to take part in because of its potential impact on his criminal case. The 21-year-old was found not guilty on both counts earlier in August and applied for readmission to school, which has now been granted.

Football will be in his future, though it’s unclear if that will come at Wisconsin. Coach Paul Chryst said if Cephus wants to rejoin the team, he will be welcomed back. A number of his teammates have said they’d love to have him back, but really just want to see him happy, whether it’s in Madison or elsewhere.

Cephus was Wisconsin’s top wide receiver in 2017 before a leg injury forced him to miss the final five games. He still finished with 30 catches for 501 yards and five touchdowns.

Comments

comments